Best apps for seniors – Making life easier, one app at a time
Whether we’re talking about your parents or grandparents, or you yourself are a silver fox, we gathered useful info from all around and made quite a list of useful apps just for seniors, to love and to use.
No matter our age, this should always be a concern and since technology is in every aspect of our lives, let’s put it to good use.
- Helps you easily record your blood pressure, your resting heart rate and your weight, and you’ll be able to track it on a daily basis and over time. iBP uses color icons to indicate when your blood pressure values are normal, high, or hypertension. It also provides interactive graphs that allow you to display your values by weeks, months, year and time of day. The graphs display lows, highs, averages, and trend lines using statistical analysis.
Pillboxie (iPad and iPhone) – $1.99
- Keep forgetting to take your medicine or which one to take at what time? This is the app for your: customize your meds with different combinations of med types and colors.
- Organization is key – Keep all of your family’s medical information and medical history in one spot, for quick access. Track blood tests and X-rays, and back up the information to your computer
- Even seniors without memory problems can have a hard time keeping track of their medicines or fully complying with a treatment plan. This app seeks to help older adults manage their medications, set reminders & create status reports on how well they are respecting doctor’s orders.
- Track your blood pressure and weight over time without having to call your doctor or comb through old records.
Make your life easier and give yourself an extra helping hand, one app at a time:
EyeReader (iPhone) – $1.99
- Tired eyes make every letter smaller so this will be great for all book loving seniors out there. How does it work? Hold your iPhone over a book or some paperwork, and your phone turns into a magnifying glass, with a light to help brighten the text.
- For all the times when swiping is not such an easy task, due to lower dexterity, this app blows up the navigation buttons, making it easier. It also has an Interactive Text Zoom slider that enlarges text up to 200%.
- Staying (literally) connected to loved ones is a must, and Tello gives you great phone plans for seniors, with unlimited text & talk only, or you can even add data to enjoy all the other apps presented here & more. Choose Flip-phones or smartphones, we have no contracts and no fees, so you don’t need to worry about a thing.
Entertainment & Social Apps
Studies have shown that seniors have found that, with the right repertoire of apps, smartphones and tablets can promote major lifestyle improvements. Smartphone and tablet apps allow seniors to: keep their minds sharp and engaged, stay connected with friends and family, keep abreast of news and world events, listen to their favorite music, stay well read.
Clevermind (iPad) – Free
- This is a wonderful app especially for people dealing with cognitive impairments that come with problems associated with Alzheimer’s. From quizzes and games, to big buttons, voice command controls, and a calendar interface, it provides a lot of levels of fun.
Lumosity (iPhone) – Free
- Keep your mind sharp with some of the best mind games around, designed by neuroscientists working to enhance memory, attention and other skills.
- This is seriously helpful for everyone, no matter the age, if you like having everything in the same place. Connect it with all of your social media accounts and with some of the best news and content sites that interest you. Then watch it turn everything into a digital magazine, in which you “flip” the pages and see everything set up like a magazine, including Facebook posts and tweets.
- Similar to the popular board game, Scrabble. Players can challenge their friends and family, however distant they might be. This lets them play a mentally engaging game while at the same time having fun and staying social. Its widespread popularity means finding a game is never any trouble.