How can I activate my Android device?
The wait is over! You’ve now successfully broken up with your old carrier and switched mobile providers. Hooray!
You bought yourself a new plan and went through the bring your own phone process. You did everything right, followed all the steps, but wait… your Android phone is not active and you can’t make calls! So, the next logical question that goes through your mind is: what should I do next? How can I activate my Android device?
The correct answers are:
- Follow the activation steps available both in your account AND in our Help Center OR
- Follow the activation steps listed below if you have an Android (for any other models, please refer to your online account or the Help Center) OR
- Contact our friendly Customer Service, available 24/7 by phone and email.
Once you follow these steps and activate your phone, you’ll be ready to make calls, use data, or send texts in no time!
Remember: You can keep the phone number you love or even get a new one from us
If you need a new SIM from Tello, you can order one online and follow the steps below after its delivery:
- Unpack the phone, plug it in, and leave it to charge fully. Do not turn it ON yet.
- Go to the Active SIM page in your online account.
- Complete the field(s) required and follow the online prompts.
- Wait for the website to confirm that the activation process has finished. This can take up to 20 minutes.
- Insert the new Tello GSM SIM and switch the fully charged phone ON. (see our SIM Installation Guide)
- Follow any on-screen prompts provided and your phone should start to automatically activate the Tello GSM service.
- If your phone does not activate automatically, please wait 30 minutes, then reboot your phone and try again. You can also manually activate your device by following these steps.
- Start calling, texting & surfing the web with Tello!
What are the APN settings?
- activate your mobile Data / APN: wholesale
- activate your phone as a modem / APN: wholesale
You can always turn for help to our human Customer Support Team that will be happy to assist with any issue, so contact us via email, phone or chat. Happy savings, everyone!
I just did this one my HTC One m8 moving from RingPlus and was very confused at first. Disabled my WiFi and had Mobile Data on and followed step one to dial the number. My phone didn’t ask for the MSL and I couldn’t do anything except tap the three little dots at the right hand corner to Reset. My phone reset, restarted and tried to activate but it didn’t work just got an error message to Try Again Later for the activation! So, I went on to do step two but it wouldn’t update the profile. I kept getting that Try Again Later message. Reread the steps again finally decided to turn my WiFi back on and then went to update profile, Worked! Step three update PRL, Worked! After all that thinking to myself that wasn’t really that confusing at all. =)
DO NOT FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS. A RESET PHONE DOES NOT HAVE DATA, AND DATA IS REQUIRED TO UPDATE CARRIER SETTINGS AND PRL. WIFI MUST BE ON!
As stated in the first step, some LTE devices don’t require turning mobile data on, but work better on WiFi, while for others it’s necessary to activate mobile data. It’s true that the phone doesn’t have an Internet connection at this point, but Sprint allows for a special connection in order to download the files needed to activate the device. Please try the process and see what works best for your phone.
I had the same issue with Jessica S. my GS 5 stopped on “Checking device status…”after I did the 1st step of phone reset. So, Please help!
I can not do anything with my phone.
We checked your account and it seems you’ve already contacted our customer service team and managed to activate your phone. We are very happy to hear this. :)
Welcome to Tello!
As stated by others turn on the wifi!!. The other instructions will work with wifi turned on.
The above command does not seem to work on my Samsung A20. But the same phone works fine with a ATT sim card. The phone was brought over from Metro PCS and has been unlocked. I have raised a ticket.
The first rule of dealing with a computer regardless if it is a desktop, tablet, or smartphone is you need to pay close attention to the instructions. Then be patient, and give the thing time to do what you want. Most people incur a problem because they are in a hurry. Slow down.
Please send instructions to activate new phone with existing sim card.
Jessica (or Jess?), please contact my Customer Support colleagues and offer them your account details, so they can walk you through the process, thanks a bunch!
Do you need to get a plan before SIM activation?
Yes you need to pick a plan and then you will be able to activate the SIM and use the service.
If you need help, our Customer Support team is here to help: tello.com/contact.
Cannot seem to activate phone the sight cannot be reached?
If you followed the instructions and your phone is still not activated, then you can always contact our Customer Support team at 1-866-377-0294 or by chat/email through our Contact page.They are available 24/7 ;)